After the ‘enthusiastic’ crowd response I thought “wow, that’s crazy”, and figured that was the end of that. Boy, was I wrong!
I’ve listened to the Hamilton soundtrack end-to-end probably around five times. Somehow, I’ve never noticed how politically relevant the lyrics are. But with Mike Pence in the audience, and the audience hyper-aware of that fact, it seemed like every other song had a lyric directed at him.
Here are a couple of lines from the show where the crowd burst out applauding and the actors needed to pause the performance. Note: Mild spoilers ahead for those avoiding the Hamilton plot:
- Hamilton & Lafayette greeting each other on the battlefield:
- “Immigrants. We get the job done.”
- King George III after America wins the Revolution. Props to the actor for handling a hard situation (four interruptions in one song!) like a champ:
- “What comes next… Do you know how hard it is to lead?”
- “You’re on your own, awesome, wow. Do you have a clue what happens now?”
- “Oceans rise, empires fall. It’s much harder when it’s all your call”
- “When your people say they hate you…”
After the show was over, the actors skipped the usual curtain call and came together as one to make an announcement. The actor who portrayed Aaron Burr, Brandon Victor Dixon, made a speech to Pence directly in a statement that has since gone viral. The unconventional curtain call was the cap to an undoubtedly unconventional show.